Pet Emergency Checklist
Plan & Implement a Pet Emergency Kit Today!
Buy a duffle bag, backpack or plastic bin dedicated to having all the items in ONE place! Have it available to grab, in an easy location, especially if you have to evacuate quickly. An entry hall closet is an ideal place since it's close to the front door.
- Make sure your dog is micro-chipped and has a collar with up-to-date ID tags
- Have at least 3 - 5 days of food ready in an airtight container - date and rotate every 6 months
- Water in a transportable container - Filter water bottles are great to have on hand tool!
- Collapsible bowls and paper towels - goes without saying....
- Extra harness/leash
- Plastic bags for relieving - really want LOTS of these...throw in some hand sanitizer too!
- Pet first-aid items kit
- Medications/nutrition supplements
- Vet medical records, vaccination certificates (copies in your car glove box are a great idea too!)
- Emergency contact list
- Blanket and toys – old favorites that your dog loves (this is a comfort factor during stressful times)
- Travel kennel (preferably lightweight and portable) - this expense will be your saving grace!
- Have a place/person lined up in advance that will house your dog during an emergency
In case you need to leave your dogs behind in an emergency, make sure to have a card taped to your front and back doors with all contact information so relief workers/ neighbors will know how to find you. Learn basic canine first-aid/CPR. You may not be able to get to your vet right away, and this may prove life-saving for your dog.
- KMR (Kitten Replacement Formula)
- Pee Pads (for puppies)
- Tidy Cat Scoopable Litter
- Friskies canned cat food (no fish)
- Purina One dry kitten food
- Purina One Healthy Metabolism or Purina Cat Chow Naturals Dry Cat Food
- Cat & Dog Toys
- Paper Towels
- Odo Ban Spray
- Gift Cards for pet supplies
- Gasoline Cards for transporting animals
- Bully Sticks for dogs
We Need Your Donation Today to Help Feed Our Cats & Dogs and Find Them Permanent Homes
October 14, 2017: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Petco Adoption Event, 5925 U.S. Highway 6, Portage, IN
October 14, 2017: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Ted's Feed Store Adoption Event, 2112 U.S. Highway 41, Schererville, IN
October 15, 2017 : 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Petco Adoption Event, 5925 E. Highway. 6, Portage, IN
October 21, 2017: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Petsmart Adoption Event, 2881 E. U.S. 30, Hobart, IN
October 22, 2017: 4 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser, 6130 E. U.S. Highway 6, Portage, IN
October 28, 2017: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Petco Adoption Event, 5925 U.S. Highway 6, Portage, IN
November 5, 2017: 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. - Pancake Breakfast & Bazaar, St. John Panel Room, 1844 Lincoln Avenue, Whiting, IN
November 12, 2017: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Petco Adoption Event, 5925 U.S. Highway 6, Portage, IN